What is Arthritis?
Arthritis is a disease usually associated with excruciating pain and inflammationin the bone joints. It is also used to describe up to 200 medical conditions that affect joints, the tissues that surround the joint, and other connective tissue in the body. In India, nearly 15% of people are affected by arthritis; which is roughly over 180 million people. It is a chronic disease where the pain can be controlled through treatment.
There are a number of treatment options for arthritis such as painkillers, anti-inflammatory drugs, biologic response modifiers, etc. When most conventional therapies fail, patients will be asked to consider surgery for the treatment of arthritis.
One significant consideration in the context of treating arthritis is that innovative nanomedicine is poised to provide unprecedented treatment benefits in the care and treatment of arthritis patients. Arthritis treatment using nanomedicine has proven to provide better results. This section will be discussed further, below.
Arthritis is classified into many types, and they have multiple causes for it. The following are a few of the types, causes, and symptoms of Arthritis.
Types of Arthritis
Some of the commonly found arthritis disorder sin India are,
Osteoarthritis: It is a chronic and musculoskeletal disorder. This type usually affects the joints in the hips, knees, feet, and spine. According to the World Health Organization, 9.6% of men, and 18% of women aged 60 and above have osteoarthritis worldwide. This type is further classified into primary and secondary osteoarthritis.
- Primary osteoarthritis is associated with aging due to the decrease in water concentration in the cartilage.
- Secondary osteoarthritis is associated with other factors such as an injury, squatting for long-time, having diabetes, and obesity.
Rheumatoid: It is also a chronic disorder, but it primarily targets flexible joints. For example, it affects the joints of hands and feet. About 1% of the Indian population is affected by this type of arthritis. Women are three times more prone to get rheumatoid arthritis than men.
Gouty: Sudden pain in the joints, especially in the feet and toes, is an indication of gouty arthritis. It is commonly found in men who are more than 40 years of age. It also affects women, but men are more prone to get this disorder.
Causes Of Arthritis
The decrease in cartilage level in your joints is the major cause of arthritis disorder. The cartilage is a flexible connective tissue in your joints that protects your bone by absorbing the pressure and shock; when you move or put stress on the joints. Once the cartilage fluid tends to decrease, bones start to rub with each other, and the friction resulted from rubbing causes enormous pain. Cartilage loss in your joints can even end up in severe bone damage.
For rheumatoid arthritis
Rheumatoid affects joint linings, termed as the synovial membrane. This membrane is responsible for secreting viscous fluid between the joints. When this membrane stops secreting the viscous fluid, the bones in the joints start to erode.
For gout arthritis
Gout arthritis is caused by excess uric acid production in the body or when the human kidney has lost its ability to remove the excess uric acid.
FAMILY HISTORY – Sometimes arthritis runs through families. If any of your family members or siblings have arthritis then you are more likely to get this disorder.
AGE- The intensity of every type of arthritis increases with age.
PROFESSION – The people who have injured a lot or the people whose profession is associated with athletics, can get arthritis easily.
OBESITY- Carrying excess weight on oneself puts stress on joints especially in the knee and spine. So, people who are obese have a higher probability of getting arthritis.
Symptoms of Arthritis
Common symptoms of arthritis are
- Pain can be constant in a particular part of the body or it might come and go. In some rare cases, people experience pain in many parts of the body.
- Stiffness is a very common symptom in all types of arthritis. It mostly occurs upon waking up in the morning or after sitting in a car for a longer period.
- The skin over the weak joints becomes red, swollen and it feels warm to the touch. This is an indication of arthritis.
- If you find difficult to get up from the chair or it is painful, then it could be arthritis.
- Morning stiffness that lasts more than one or two hours.
- Eyes burning and itching.
- Chest pain while breathing in.
- Numbness in the feet and hands.
- Difficulty in sleeping.
- Cracking sound when a joint is moved.
- Pain and stiffness in the joints.
- Worse pain after a normal gym session.
- Pain in the shoulder joints.
Gout arthritis symptoms
- Pain in the big toe and knee, swelling in the ankle joints.
- Sudden pain at night which could be excruciating.
- Getting fever regularly irrespective of seasons.
Treatment for Arthritis
The new and effective treatment for arthritis using Nanomedicine:
Even though a wide range of treatments are available, arthritis treatment using nanomedicine technology is very effective in curing arthritis because the medicine is easily absorbed through the top layer of the skin. Nanolife’s nano infused therapeutic product named ‘AAHAMARA’ contains 100% therapeutic gold nanoparticles developed through innovative Green Nanotechnology (contains Boswellia and Curcumin). The anti-inflammatory properties of this Nanomedicine product help to reduce inflammation in the joints, while slowing down the arthritis deterioration of joints.
- In rheumatoid arthritis, the human immune system gets overactive and attacks its body tissues.‘AAHAMARA’ helps in controlling the immune system activity through immunomodulatory effect.
- ‘AAHAMARA’ has a property to restrain the inflammation-causing COX-2 and it also maintains the COX-1 level to slow down the cartilage reduction process.